Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The One About Socks

     Hey!
     So my little sister is sitting in my room playing on Webkinz and I told her I was going to write on my blog. She looks at me and says, "Socks." So, here is a post about socks!
     For all of you who don't know what a sock is, according to Webster Dictionary, it is "a knitted or woven covering for the foot usually worn under shoes and extending above the ankle and sometimes to the knee." Now a little history about the sock.
     The earliest ones (that we know of) tied around the ankle. The Ancient Greeks wore socks made from animal hair unlike the Romans who had theirs made of leather. Around the 5th century, socks were known as puttees and were worn by holy people. By 1000 AD socks were a sign of wealth! Socks with designs were introduced in the 16th century. The next change in sock history was the introduction of nylon in 1938. Since then, not much has changed socks wise. 
     That's enough history for now. On to design! You have your average sock with is like a tight bag for your foot. You have probably heard of toe socks where there is a little sleeve for each toe, but have you heard of the flip-flop sock? It is a sock that has to sleeves: one for the big toe, and another for the rest! Weird huh?
     So there you have it! The most sock-iest post I will ever write! If you liked this post, please share it with friends! Also, please comment and I will approve it as soon as I can. If you would like to suggest a topic, comment. 
     Until next time,
    ~Scarlette    

2 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, my socks didn't have elastic, so I used to wear little elastic garters around the top of them to hold them up. I'm sure a little ginger haired schoolboy in shorts with his socks pulled up and held in place by garters was the picture of British childhood.

    ReplyDelete